Join our friendly and committed group of primary English leaders. We meet online three times a year and during the last year we have covered the following topics:
Finding the plot: couch to 5 paragraphs – revisiting the effective teaching of writing in KS1 and KS2
Whole school progression in writing about character
Make it Sing: developing Greater Depth writing
Doubling, dropping and adding: spelling games, ideas and strategies
One book – one school: a whole school writing project
Regular updates on new books and resources; influential reports; responsing to national issues
The strategic role of the English leader – making it happen with implementation plans
Networking opportunities – sharing ideas and solving problems together
Dates for the school year 2023/24
1 November 2023
13 March 2024
12 June 2024
Already on the agenda for 1 November 2023:
- DfE – The reading framework update from July 2023 – this has been expanded to look in greater depth at KS2 – an in depth analysis and in particular:
- The planning and teaching of English units
- Guided Reading
- Reading fluency
We will also look at:
- preparing potential GD children for the Y6 reading test
- helping children to assess the context of unfamiliar vocabulary in reading tests
These meetings are delivered online via Zoom and all resources and presentations are shared afterwards.
£170 per delegate per meeting or the very popular season-ticket offer of £150 per meeting if all three meetings are booked.
With the season ticket offer, this year I am offering two for one for delegates from the same school.
The format will be changed for this year to allow more individual support for English leaders. There will still be the three network meetings to allow input from myself or visiting speakers, and these will be backed up by 30 minute appointments for English leaders so that they can discuss their issues and questions with me in relation to their own setting.
Below are some of the topics that were discussed during one-to-one meetings in June 2023
- Improving the amount and quality of grammar teaching within an English unit.
- Widening colleagues repertoire of writing opportunities.
- Using adaptive planning to provide for the needs of a wide range of abilities in a group.
- How to share with colleagues ideas for short and medium burst writing within an English unit.
- How to develop progression within comprehension activities for retrieval, inference and summarising as a whole school.
- Putting together an action plan based upon the EEF implementation process.
- Preparation for OFSTED inspection and deep dive questions.
I will also be available during the whole year for informal contact either via email, text or Zoom to offer support as and when needed. This will all be included in the price of the season-ticket.
If the season-ticket option is chosen, you are then committed to attending all three meetings during the school year. However, if you are unable to attend a meeting then I always provide all of the resources and a video recording of the meeting so that you can catch up when you have a moment.
Having said the above, cancellations for individual meetings can be made if I am given five working days notice.
If you have attended meetings this year, then there is no need to complete the application form below please just send me an email and I will add you to the register for next year.
If you are a new colleague, then could you please complete the form below and send it to me and I will add you to the register.
PLEASE EMAIL PHILIPGWEBB@ME.COM TO BOOK PLACES.
Please copy, paste and complete the following information in your email.
Name of Delegate(s)
Delegate(s) email addresses for the invitation to join the Zoom meeting
I would like to book for (please select) an individual meeting / season-ticket offer
Email address for invoice
Header image courtesy of Bolton Brow Primary Academy