Feedback from 2018
‘… knowledgeable, funny, realistic and supportive.’
‘Fantastic ideas and resources. Amazing books. Ideas can be used now and are adaptable.’
‘I have lots of ideas about how to implement this straight away-especially with poetry and whole class guided reading.’
‘Practical ideas that consider teacher workload.’
‘Lots of practical ideas for teaching poetry and non-fiction.’
Please note new dates below
Day 1 – 18 June 2019 – 9.30 am – 4.00 pm – St Oswald’s CE Academy, Bradford
Day 2 – 2 July 2019 – 9.30 am – 4.00 pm – St Oswald’s CE Academy, Bradford
Please email email@example.com to book
Outcomes: Participants will be introduced to a range of engaging teaching techniques to help them to enable their children to reach Age Related Expectations and beyond. All delegates will receive free access to online resources including teaching sequences for the featured texts.
Target audience: Year 1 teachers who are new to the year group, or experienced teachers who are looking for new ideas and a structured approach to teaching that is easy to adapt. Key Stage 1 phase leaders are also welcome to attend alone or along with their Year 1 colleagues.
Day 1 – 4 April 2019
- Planning an effective teaching sequence for the early part of Year 1 using Little Red by Bethan Woollvin – free copy of the book and teaching sequence for every delegate
- Planning fiction teaching sequences for the later part of Year 1 using quality texts
- Using and applying phonics in context
- Spelling in Year 1
Day 2 – 23 May 2019
- Planning effective teaching sequences for non-fiction and poetry (including reading and writing across the curriculum)
- Supporting transition from Reception into Year 1
- Guided Reading in Year 1 including Whole Class Guided Reading
During these days, we will work through teaching sequences for fiction, non-fiction and poetry that are customised to meet the specific needs of this year group, will help them to meet Age Related Expectations and to be prepared for transition into Year 2. Time will also be spent looking at what is required to be working at Greater Depth. Using quality texts, we will identify precisely what to teach and practise in reading, spelling, punctuation, and grammar for writing.
There will be free copies of quality fiction texts – Little Red and Emily Brown and the Elephant Emergency for all attendees to take away with them.
Course fee – £300 + VAT per person for two days or £170 + VAT per day.