Here are some ideas related to the film that could be used with children in the EYFS. These have been provided my daughter (and EYFS leader) Jessica. A document containing these ideas can be downloaded at the foot of this page.
Communication and Language
- Small world play
- Re-cap the story once it’s finished
- Predict what it might be about / what might happen from a still
- Comprehension questions
Personal, Social, Emotional Development
- Axis of emotion
- Do you think they’re friends?
- How could they have made friends?
- Make a Blue Moon and characters with play dough or plasticine (or anything else really)
- Pack and healthy lunch for them
- Play with a ball or pebble wearing a character mask you’ve made
- Stills with speech bubbles for children to write
- Caption writing
- Label writing
- Postcard from the Blue Moon
- Packing list to go to the Blue Moon
- Instructions for making the rocket or camera work
- Build a rock tower using X number of rocks or pieces of plasticine
- Build a rock tower and discuss how tall or short it is
- Rocket counting backwards from 20 to 0
- Discuss the time of day
- Make plasticine rocks and weigh them
- Addition and subtraction using rocks
- Who has more / fewer rocks
Understanding The World
- Where is it set? How do you know?
- What transport could you use to get there? Why not a boat?
- Make your own junk modelled camera
- Make a Blue Moon and photograph it
- What devices can you use to take photos?
- What technology is in the rocket?
- Find out about the historical moon landing
Expressive Arts and Design
- Create a shoebox Blue Moon
- Junk model the characters and rocket
- Make rock towers
- Make a character mask
- Paint or decorate rocks